The National Weather Service has indicated that a hard freeze is possible over the Holiday weekend. They are predicting several evenings with temperatures below freezing. While we are all hopeful this will not be a major freeze event, it is best to prepare now. Below are some recommendations from the experts.
- Wrap exterior exposed pipes.
- Exterior faucets and exposed pipes are susceptible to breakage.
- While you are home, it is recommended to let both hot and cold taps drip during the hard freeze hours to help prevent pipe bursts.
- Turn off your irrigation system, run-off can cause ice build-up.
- Keep your house heated to a minimum of 65 degrees and open the cabinets under sinks.
- Cover any exterior plants and bring in small potted plants.
- Make sure to bring your pets inside.
Check that fireplaces and heaters are working correctly.
- Ensure that fireplace flue is closed when not in use.
- Check on your neighbors.
- If you will be traveling, it may be a good idea to shut the water off to your home and drain as much water as possible out of the lines.
- Leave your heat on low to help prevent damage within your home.
Stay safe and be prepared!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the Germer Insurance Services and Rucker-Ohlendorf Insurance teams.